What's In Your Home Office?

home officeEver wondered why a day in the office is usually called ‘toxic’? Because it is. What are the standard office fixtures? Copy-machines, fax-machine, permanent markers. Not to mention pesticides and particleboard furniture. All of these things contain something that make your sick. Toners. Ink-cartridges. Gases. Vapors. Fumes. All of these can cause sick-building syndrome.

Believe it or not, it is a real illness that is characterized by symptoms like headache and fatigue. David O. Carpenter, MD, director of the Institute for Health and the Environment at the University at Albany, State University of New York says "Sick-building syndrome is the result of poor ventilation".

The key here is to have air properly circulating around your office. If your building does not have windows, you may ask your manager or building admin and maintenance to have air exchanges and filters turned on before work hours.

Neuro toxic Compounds

So why do we need to ‘air out’ out offices? Because some of the compounds found in offices are neurontoxic, which means they affect our nervous systems causing tingling or numbness or even permanent damage in the long run.

What you can do

  • Avoid printers and copiers in your immediate work space.
  • Take 10-minute walks to get some fresh air.
  • At home, keep fax machines and printers out of the bedroom and crack windows.
  • Add chemical-removing plants in your home office.
  • Exchange your pressed-wood furniture for the real thing. It is worth the money.