Common Fertility Myths

Chance plays a major role in getting pregnant. Generally we believe that once the sperm unites with the egg, that’s it. But the truth is (on average) only about 30 percent of women will conceive. The other 70 percent will have to try again and hope for the best.

There are a number of rumors about getting pregnant. For instance, rumors regarding when is the best time in a woman’s cycle to conceive, frequency of intercourse, what are the best practices and positions. There are even rumors about the decrease in chances of getting pregnant if you stand up immediately after intercourse. Know the truth behind these rumors.

Best time to conceive

The best time to conceive is during ovulation. In a woman’s cycle, ovulation occurs 14 days before the next period. Women have different cycle lengths. If you have a 28-day cycle, that’s day 14 for you. If you have 35-day cycle, ovulation would occur on day 21. If you have a shorter cycle – 23 days, ovulation would be on day 9. If you have an irregular cycle, it would be best if you use additional means such as an ovulation detection kit, because it would be hard to accurately predict your ovulation day.

Sperm lives for 3-5 days in cervical mucus. However, a woman’s egg can live only up to 24 hours. This means that there are greater chances for you to get pregnant a few days before ovulation than a few days after.

Frequency of intercourse

For couples with normal fertility, how often they have sex is not important. The key is for the sperm to be present in time to meet the egg. However, maximum sperm counts are seen with ejaculation with 24- to 48- hour intervals. Contrary to the rumors, saving up for the big day, do not help and may even decrease your chances of conception. In general, couples should have intercourse at whatever interval feels right for them. That could be once a day or once a week or once every few weeks. They important thing is to give special attention to have intercourse at least every other day during ovulation period.

Sexual practices

Whatever you might have heard, there is no evidence that a certain position is better than another. As long as the penis is inside the vagina during ejaculation, position does not matter. Female orgasm is also not required. Also note that if you use lubricants, make sure that they are none toxic because some toxic lubricants can kill sperm. Another important thing, a man’s testes hang outside his body because sperm number and motility are higher at cooler temperatures. Thus, taking a warm bath before intercourse may not be a good idea and may even decrease his fertility.