Common Toxic Items Found In The Kitchen

The home should be the safest and most secure place for people. Unfortunately, this may not be true all of the time. Even when the home may be safe and secure from intruders, there may be different threats found inside the home that can make it unsafe for the residents. There are certain common items found in most homes that are actually known to be toxic. Here are just some of them.

Nylon Cooking Tools

While it might be convenient to cook using those black-colored nylon kitchen utensils, they may not be as safe. Nylon cooking utensils contain a compound called DDM. It is an epoxy hardener that can be ingested if the nylon spoon or ladle melts. Once ingested, it may cause cirrhosis or tumor development as what researchers have discovered in rats. You may want to check out the heat rating of your nylon utensils to prevent from using them where they can melt. Or better yet, you might be better off using stainless steel utensils for cooking instead.

Non-Stick Cookware

Using non-stick pans can help people cook healthier by using less cooking oil. But then again, it may not be as safe as most people think. Most non-stick cookware contains trace amounts of perfluorooctanoic acid, a chemical that can cause cancer in animals according to research. When cooking the non-stick coating can also chip off from the pan, mix into your food and enter the body. It is still better to stick with stainless steel pans when cooking. For healthier meals, you can instead use high quality cooking sprays or oils instead.

Oven Cleaners

Oven cleaners can remove tough dirt and grime that can accumulate in the oven after some time. But their effectiveness can come with a price- these products can contain corrosive alkalis. While these compounds can remove grime, they are poisonous when inhaled or ingested. For a safer option, a baking soda and vinegar mix can also do the job in removing tough dirt and grime in ovens.


Comments are closed.